So, you want to start a blog huh? Well, you have come to the right place.
Blogging is one of the best things that has ever happened in my business. I didn't start out to make money from my blog, but through time, trial, and error I turned it into a profitable business.
And yes, you can make money blogging, too.
Before we talk about why you start a blog, let's delve into the three reasons why you shouldn't blog.
1. Money. If you're looking for fast money, blogging ain't it. Yes, you can make a lot of money blogging, but it will take some time and good content to do it. It took me a year before I saw one dime from my blog, so you should have another gig to support you while you build your blog. Some people take only a couple of months to make money, but the hard truth is that there are some bloggers who have blogged for years and haven't seen one red cent.
2. Your Topic Sucks. Well, maybe your topic doesn't suck, but if you're not passionate about what you will write about - you will get bored very fast. And when you consider that you will need to fill your blog up with a lot of content, you better make sure that you're at least interested in the topic you're going to build a platform around.
3. You Want to Be Famous. Gone are the days where "if you build it, they will come". The truth is that most bloggers won't be found and will remain unknown. In order to be popular and get a lot of traffic, you will have to put some work and effort in it first. You will have to build relationships, you will have to put out really good content, and you will have to find a way to drive traffic to your blog.
Are you still reading this? Good, that means I didn't scare you off. So, let's talk about why you should start a blog.
1. You build your online brand. If you have a business, then a blog will help people learn more about you.
2. You are seen as the expert in your field. To many, you seem to have the answers to their questions and become a valuable resource. Similar to being an expert, but you could really help people who are dealing with issues they feel uncomfortable asking the people they know.
3. It's easy and pretty inexpensive to start a blog. How many businesses can you start for less than a $100? Not many. There's a low barrier to entry and is open to almost everyone. All you need is a computer (even a phone will do in some instances), WIFI, and a message. Unlike traditional businesses, your low expenses make it really easy for you to become profitable quicker.
4. Blogging gives you a voice. How else would someone across the globe know what you think and how you feel? Through your blog of course.
6. You'll become a better communicator. If you blog, you'll undoubtedly become a better writer, even if you suck as one now. Even if you decide to share content through video (vlog) or audio (podcast), you'll become more comfortable "speaking" and therefore able to communicate better to others.
7. Blogging can be lucrative. If you work hard at your blog you can make a good living. There are many bloggers who have turned in their notices to blog full-time. If you pick a good niche, produce good content, and build up your traffic you can make money blogging.
Okay, so we just went over why you should (and shouldn't) start a blog, the next step is to actually start the darn thing.